December,15th........ Saturday morning found me rising early, full of energy. I felt good! Maybe its because the sun was shining... I walked the dogs, secured anything that needed it and headed for Fort Stockton 200 miles away. The speed limit on I-10 was 80 mph... 80 MPH!!! Who in the world needs to go so fast???
Well, I set my cruise at a reasonable 65 and only once in a while went 70. Love to hear that engine whine, haha! (memories....) I fueled up at Fort Stockton and headed on down 385 to Big Bend Nat'l Park. Early evening found me at Panther Junction about mid-way into the park.
I went inside the visitor's center and asked about camping. I could go SE to Rio Grande Village (33 mi) or SW to Cottonwood (20 mi). Speed limit was 45 most of the way. I choose to go SE, and so glad I did. I snapped a few photos on the way in as the land forms began changing. But the sun was sinking low and I had to make time to get there before dark. Why, I wonder, is it that I always seem to be chasing my tail?? This is not a race I am in.
I need to s-l-o-w d-o-w-n.
I got there just as the camp hosts were leaving for the evening.There were 2 campgrounds; a commercial one with all hookups, and a national park campground, no amenities except faucet water and shower/restrooms. I was tired from driving 350 miles and could have slept good anywhere. I stayed at the nat'l park's campgrounds for $7/night with my senior discount. I got parked and took the dogs for a short run so they could do their business.
We had a dark, peaceful night's sleep! The next day, I talked with the camp host as to sites to see. He gave me some great tips. So after freshening up and breakfast and doggie doo's, we were off! But not before I took a picture of this twisted tree trunk,
and the vastly different trees with yellow foliage across the drive.
We headed out to Boquillas Canyon overlook, about 5 mi away.
This is the first time I have seen the Rio Grande River while standing on the ground. Just a ribbon of water, seperating two countries, very diverse in our customs and ways of life, yet so very similar, as people just wanting to provide a living for our families....
Here, Mexicans come from the town of Boquillas, MX, across the border, (the river) and climb the steep incline to display their wares on these rocks in hopes someone will buy from them, enabling them to make a few dollars to feed their families. But the rules and laws of the BB Nat'l Park forbid it....
I would have liked to... but not willing to risk fines or other consequences.
Looking at the mountain escarpment that is on the other side if the river to the east.
and some of the dessert plants
One last look at the river.... and.... opps? Look at that stone! What is that??
I did not see this til I was looking over my photos. Is this the real thing? Or did someone make this and set it there by itself. I may never know....
More photos to come of Big Bend parks.....
















My goodness Sunny you are really "makin' tracks", my friend! I've crossed the Rio many times on mission trips to Mexico, so I know what you're talking about - Have you seen the great big centipedes cross the road yet? They're HUGE! Watch out for those scorpions! Ok, now where are you going next???? Inquiring minds want to know! LOL!
ReplyDeleteBe careful out that way. Lots of smuggling going on there. But enjoy pictures are great.
ReplyDeleteI haven't been to Big Bend since 1988. Thanks for refreshing my memory.
ReplyDeleteI am surprised there is no fence there at the border!
ReplyDelete