Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Another trip to Mexico

Saturday morning we decided to make a run to Mexico so I could get some of my medicines. Soon as we walked out of the parking lot, we go down this ramp and through a building walkway to the right, through a gate, into the Mexican side of Nogales.
As soon as we got to street level we saw all the taxi's lined up, both sides of the street, to take visitors wherever they would wish to go.
Drivers stood calling out, "Taxi, taxi, you need a taxi??" The wall on the right where the taxis are lined up, is the border between the states and Mexico.
 My brother was getting some stitches removed at the dentist office where he had had some work done recently. I like the intricate detailed street lights. The pace here is slow and people take time to sit or stand and chat. There are benches made from metal at various places along the streets.
I was delighted to see these "dancers" coming down the street. I had never known of this before.
They had goat-like hats on their heads with horns and droopy ears, and masks on their faces.
One carried a box for donations, one a drum, others with maracas...
They wore belts of shot-gun shells, made to add to the music as they did their dance,
And legging-like things made from soda cans into hundreds of little bells that tinkled in time to the music. Oh what fun this was to watch them as they imitated the goats and did a dance much as you would see in the movie "Dances With Wolves". That was the highlight of my day!! 
Here is a picture of some of their wares that I hadn't seen last time. Lots of neat metalwork.
When I saw this blanket I could not pass it up. This was just made for on my sofa at home in my den! It is made from Alpaca wool. More than I wanted to pay (even after bargaining him down to half)
but well worth it. It is beautiful and soft!
We finished off with getting a fantastic meal at a restaurant called "Lee's", recommended by a local person. It was beautiful inside, and the food was excellent!
Oh, yes.... I drove the RAV4 for the trip there and decided I like it VERY much!
 
Later this week, we leave for a camping trip to the Dragoon Mountains. It will be My brother's and s-i-l's first RV trip.  We are planning to have a great time!


9 comments:

  1. Walking around in Mexico always makes me nervous. I'm never comfortable there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you mentioned the dancers and the colors I thought you meant the (lets see if I get this right) Florica they are dressed in traditional dresses of mostley reds and the guys wear black or red vests it is some thing to see.
    And of course the mariachis band.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well? did you find out why they were dressed that way? strange costuming... but what fun! wonder if it ... well? that's interesting... find out what they were wearing and the dance meant ... ;)

    Jo you say Florica? wonder what that means... I love the traditional costumes and dances ...

    the colors, in your blanket are beautiful, Sunny...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you are having a great time, Sunny. I love your new Alpaca blanket. Have a great time in the mountains with the new-timers. They will love it. By the way, I'm liking your new wheels too...and blue.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry I'm a little late but...

    Congrats on the new car!!

    Cheers! ~M

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are much braver than I.........Mexico has turned out to be such a dangerous place to visit! So glad that you had a wonderful time and that you made it safely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a fun time! Glad you enjoyed your day there. Hope you are having fun camping with your brother! Oh how I wish I were there. Getting Ellie all fixed up though, then me next ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS, the Alpaca blanket is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really are having some wonderful adventures, Sunny, I am happy for you, and a little envious. ~smile~ enjoy!
    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment... I love to read your thoughts!